【Use of amateur frequency bands】
Nano-satellite that we (Nihon University nano-satellite development project team) has developed, use the ham radio frequency band of 144MHz band in uplink, 430MHz band in downlink. Based on the following ways of thinking, we are promoting the use of ham radio frequency band.
The ham station establishment statement of reasons:pdf file(Updated on 1/5/2013)[53.9KB]
The statement of reasons which wishes to establish
Our team (the ham radio station of Nihon University, College of Science and Technology Department of Aerospace Engineering) hopes to establish a satellite station which can perform the ham radio communication with a nano-satellite that was developed by students, including the ham radio operators, and to use this satellite station to perform radio operation with the ham radio frequency bands. This radio operation is not intended for a financial profit, but, it is intended to enlighten the interest of personal radio duties, and to promote self-discipline and study of wireless communication technology, of the many ham radio operators including our team’s, by using the satellite which we operate.
To achieve this purpose, we will conduct the following items.
(1) We will provide wireless communication technology and an opportunity to study, to all ham radio operators including our team’s ham radio operators.
(2) Our team’s ham radio operators will perform the self-discipline and study of wireless communication technology of our own, by operating the satellite station, while having technical exchanges with other ham radio operators.
The concrete contents of (1) are as follows.
1) Our satellite station will send data indicating the state of the satellite to a ground ham radio station using a CW transmitter. Also, through the internet and etc., we will provide information about the contents of the transmitted data, and also the software to analyze the received data. The ham radio operators including our team’s ham radio operators will receive this CW data, and will assess their own CW data reception technology, based on the information of the CW transmission data which we will provide, to promote the improvement of reception technology.
2) Our satellite station will transmit a packet by using an FM transmitter to the ground ham radio station, which includes data from the sensors (temperature sensors, angular velocity sensors and geomagnetic sensors etc.), and also image data taken in orbit using a camera, which are mounted on the satellite. Also, through the internet and etc., we will provide information about the contents of the transmitted data, and also the software to analyze the received data. The ham radio operators including our team’s ham radio operators will assess their own reception technology of FM packet data, by comparing information about the FW packet data which we will provide, and the FM packet they actually received, to promote the improvement of reception technology.
3) Our satellite station is equipped with a function of converting images taken at various locations on orbit by a camera mounted on the satellite, to SSTV (Slow Scan TeleVision) signal. We will transmit the image converted to SSTV signal to the ground ham radio station, using FM transmitter at our satellite station. The photo data is from SSTV signal. To sending this data need to send uplink command (shutter timing and etc...) from ground station. The ham radio operators including our team’s ham radio operators will re-convert the received SSTV signal to an image, and check and assess the reception conditions and contents, to promote the improvement of reception technology.
4) Our satellite station equipped with a Digitalker, which records audio that was recorded on the ground in advance, transmit using FM transmitter which is mounted on the satellite station for the ham radio station on the ground the recorded audio. The ham radio operators including our team’s ham radio operators check and assess of reception conditions and contents of the audio data received, and promote the improvement of the reception technology.
5) The man-made satellite station of our university station is equipped with digi-peat function to relay letters and sound data transmitted by the ground ham radio station. When the man-made satellite of our university station is in the visible range of the earth station, we upload text and sound data to the satellite, and we upload the timing which the man-made satellite start the transmission of the data for other ground stations. Then the satellite saves the reception data temporarily. And the man-made satellite transmits the data to the ground ham radio stations using the FM transmitter which it put on the man-made satellite station at the time that we specified. Text digi-peat transmits the text data which the man-made satellite station received from the ground ham radio station as FM packet data, and sound digi-peat saves the sound data which the man-made satellite station received once in Digitaiker and transmits it to the ground ham radio station as sound data. The ham radio communications worker including the worker of our university station receive these FM packet data and sound data, confirm contents and the reception situation, evaluate them and, promote the improvement of the reception technology.
6) Next, the concrete content of the enforcement item of (2) is as follows. The member of our university station transmits control commands to the man-made satellite station using the FM transmitter of the radio station above the ground radio station. The member of our university station plan the improvement of a communication technology with the man-made satellite station and the radio use technique of the man-made satellite by confirming it, and evaluating the reception situation by the man-made satellite station of this transmission data
7) We think that receiving more data from the man-made satellite station is important to the improvement of the radio use technology of the man-made satellite. However, the time when we can communicate is limited by an operative orbital characteristic of the man-made satellite station of our university station. Therefore we think that we can make use for the self-discipline of the man-made satellite radio use technique of the member of our university station by having the many ham radio stations receive it each in each place, and having you share those data and information about the reception situation with our university station. Characteristics of the man-made satellite station of our university station include three points of the next.
1) It carries Digitalker and transmits sound data.
2) It is equipped with a function to convert the image data that we photographed using a camera put on the satellite station into SSTV signal and performs SSTV signalization.
3) The satellite station of our corporation station puts 2 systems of the 144MHz zone in the reception side, and the 430MHz zone in the transmission side. 1 system leaves a line open to use it to the ham radio operator, we think that I have the training of the radio technology use it, and the ham radio operator can transmit a text and sound data to the satellite station of our university station by releasing an interactive line. In addition, the ham radio operator release a command for the photography of the camera which you put on the satellite station of our corporation station and can transmit the image which you photographed with SSTV signal.
Sound data and the SSTV signal data can keep contents under control unlike the packet data such as digital data at the moment when they received it. In addition, the reception of sound data and the SSTV signal does not need a special radio receiving set. Thus, we think that it is more fun, and the ham radio operator who has not gone the communication with the satellite station so far can contribute to the improvement of the radio technology through communication with the satellite station. In addition, we think that SSTV signal can contribute to promotion of the technical improvement about the space communication because a change occurs to the image depending on reception environment even if we are the same images.
In addition, the ham radio operator uses it as one of the places of the training of the radio technology because 1 system releases a radio station to put on the satellite station of our university station, and the ham radio operator of our corporation station studies the self-discipline of the wireless communication technology of own by performing technical alternating current with other ham radio operator through this line.
In addition, there is our university station in an educational institution and can show information including aerospace engineering and satellite communications technology because a member of our university station is a teacher specialized in the aerospace engineering and a student specialized in the aerospace engineering and can provide an opportunity to have more ham radio operators and the nation deepen understanding about the wireless communication.
In this way, the satellite that our university station produces it and manages is aimed for the ham radio communications duties. We think that it is available as self-discipline of the wireless communication technology and one of the places of the study. In addition, we aim at having more people interest in a satellite communications. And we hope for it being to a bridge providing an opportunity about the wireless communication to more ham radio operators and the nation by managing the satellite station of our corporation station.
The satellite of our corporation station adapts to the purpose of the ham radio communications duties. Because it contributes to the self-discipline of the wireless communication technology of the ham radio operator and a study, we hope to establish the ham radio station to the satellite of our university station.